Monday, April 28, 2008

Final Course Post

Reflecting back on a semester of diverse literature, I’ve begun to realize just how much I’ve grown. Now, I look so critically at every text I read. I strongly believe that each and every classroom should be equipped with a diverse library. I also believe that every person should have the opportunity to learn and be exposed to all types of literature. Children should have the chance to look at literature with people they can relate to and people who are quite different than them. Every book should be a learning experience in one way or another. This class has really opened my eyes to that, though I’d like to think I was at least semi-conscious of it before.

I find myself browsing children’s books in hopes I will find a new piece of quality literature. In researching pieces of Latino/ Chicano literature for the final project, I found myself criticizing the selection availability. I also found myself lost in reading book upon book realizing just how important it really is for students to be exposed to other cultures and traditions. I’ve also realized how much people who are aware and educated about diverse children’s literature need to voice their requests for diverse texts. It will only take a few of us to really spark an interest in others around us.

Educating students on diversity issues using quality texts is an extremely important aspect to every classroom. As a future educator, I now feel I am better prepared to do just that. I know that I still have a lot of learning to do but I’m willing to put the effort in to continue to educate myself in order to educate my future students. It is refreshing to take a class that provides information that is refreshing, interesting and useful.

No comments: