Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Philosophy

As this semester has quickly passed, I have really started to think about how diverse literature should be brought into my future classroom. My personal philosophy on literature in the classroom is one that focuses a great deal on literacy. Students need to be literate, in all areas, and need to be well informed. My job as a future teacher is to inform my students. Bringing all types of literature into my classroom is a way that I plan to help inform my students.

I not only want to have a diverse library but I want to hold discussions around people who are different than my students, people who are the same in which they can identify and people who are like their friends. My students will be educated about others and will learn to accept people for who they are. I am willing to research to answer their questions and to be informed, myself. A classroom is a place for academic learning but should also be a place to learn about the world around us. It is not all about numbers and letters but about learning to be a positive citizen in our society.

No comments: